Banwell Community Church is looking for a Pastor to lead us forward. If you believe that God is calling you to lead our church, please see the job description below.
Lead Pastor Job description
Who We Are:
Banwell Community Church (BCC) is a great place to explore faith, build relationships, and find God.
BCC is a thriving multi-generational CBOQ-member church that is currently made up of 200+ active
members and adherents. Although the majority of our ministries are coordinated through a dedicated
volunteer base, at least four other support staff assist in managing our ministries and day-to-day operations.
The Ambassador Bridge is often used to represent Windsor, ON, commonly referred to as "Border City".
Likewise, as the Church, we are a bridge to our world, and our faith is best lived out when we connect with
our community at the border between "culture" and "Christ's calling". Will you join us in bridging that gap?
The “Lead Pastor” shall be primarily accountable for preaching, teaching, visioning, encouraging, and
fostering of faith at BCC. The position will oversee and work alongside all support staff; the position may
also oversee other miscellaneous areas of church ministry. Overall, it is the expectation that this individual
will collaborate with other support staff in creating and fostering a culture of Christ-centeredness;
furthermore, since the congregation is run by an elected Board, with its respective committees, the
candidate must be willing to collaborate with the volunteers elected to positions of stewardship within the
Church. Ultimately, it is expected that the “Lead Pastor” will develop a long-term strategy for continued
multi-generational faith at BCC.
It is expected that this position will generally oversee all staff and day-to-day operations. However, since
Banwell Community Church is a Board-run organization (with the support of committees), this position
will also sit on the Board as an Ex-Officio. The Lead Pastor will serve as the primary means of
communication between the Board and staff. Upon request, a formal organizational chart can be provided.
Education & Experience Expectations:
The incumbent will possess, at minimum:
● A Bachelor’s degree from a Bible College in Canada or the U.S.A.;
● Five years of relevant experience in a primary pastoral role;
● Five years of exposure to general family ministry;
● Three references validating that the candidate is above reproach in satisfying the above criteria.
Primary Roles and Responsibilities:
The following provides a general outline of the primary responsibilities associated with the position:
● Ongoing development / oversight of church ministries managed by the volunteer base; collaboration
with staff and volunteers regarding potential improvements to these ministries;
● Primary leadership of the weekly services, including the preaching of God’s Word;
● Relationship-building with congregants to mentor and guide through life circumstances; prayerful
spiritual oversight of overall church health;
● Administration of staff; includes weekly staff meetings for enhanced communication and visioning;
● Visitation of congregants that request an audience with the Lead Pastor;
● Weekly interaction and reporting at staff meetings; reporting of updates at monthly Board meetings.
Secondary Roles and Responsibilities:
The following provides a general outline of the secondary responsibilities associated with the position:
● Vision meetings with key leaders to identify milestones for personal spiritual growth;
● Monthly vision meetings with key support staff to identify milestones for the church’s spiritual growth;
● Preparation of quarterly personal professional development plan;
● Provide spiritual support for the church’s staff, volunteers, and small group leaders;
● Community outreach (as opportunities arise);
● Preparation of Sunday service outline, including but not limited to videos, lyrics, slides, etc.;
● Record video announcements; utilize editing skills as required;
● Communicate with volunteers / staff regarding changes to protocol and / or service structure.
Although the Human Resources Committee will refer to CBOQ’s 2022 Compensation
Development Tool, it is anticipated that the salary will range from $60,000 to $70,000
per annum, in consideration of a candidate’s qualifications; annual salary will be the
basis for calculating all incentive, pension, and benefit obligations and entitlements. The
position offers added compensation in the form of a monthly housing allowance ($1000 /
month.) Compensation also includes the eligibility to participate in the BCC Employee
Benefits Plan for salaried employees, which includes a healthcare plan, a life insurance
plan, and a defined contribution pension plan, all of which are provided through the
Canadian Baptists of Ontario and Quebec (CBOQ).
In total, the successful candidate will be entitled to six calendar weeks’ vacation, taken in
weeks, which are to be mutually agreed upon with the Board at the beginning of every
calendar year. Four calendar weeks shall be used at the Pastor’s discretion, and the
remaining two weeks should be allocated for personal and / or spiritual enrichment.
Car Allowance: When required to use your personal vehicle for church-related business, you may apply to
be remunerated at the approved mileage rate (which is currently $0.60/km).
Work Schedule: Work schedule is to be flexibly coordinated with the Board and support staff.
Work Term: Permanent, full-time position (minimum 40 hours per week).
In an effort to expand its community outreach, the congregation has approved severance and sale of its
unused lands as a means of funding an Outreach Wing. While the formalities of the sale are ironed out, the
Board has selected a design / build general contractor to oversee the early planning stages of the proposed
building expansion. The successful candidate will aid the Building Expansion Subcommittee in defining
the user needs of the expansion project, so any prior experience with a church build and / or expansion
project will be considered an asset.
Future Hiring of Staff
Once this position is filled, the Search Committee will refocus its efforts on hiring a Youth & Family
Ministries Pastor to support the Lead Pastor. The Search Committee will involve the Lead Pastor in the
advertisement and selection process.
This advertisement will be active until a candidate is selected for the position. At that point, the Search
Committee will close the advertisement.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please email email@example.com. In your email, please include a resume and cover letter. It is also strongly recommended that a “personal statement of faith” and a sample sermon be included in the submission package.